Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lauren Bolden (Dr Carrs lecture) 8/31/10

Dr Carr’s speech today was inspiring and truly informational. I appreciated the enthusiasm through which Dr. Carr expressed his knowledge of the origins of human intelligence. Along with learning about my history I also got to learn a few powerful words from the language of my ancestors. I have always thought about blacks as “African Americans” or Caribbean, or African, but I have never thought about how we are all one. I have never thought about what it means to be black all over the world, or the bonds that we share. The lecture today encouraged me to do so.


Dr. Carr talked about how everything originated in Africa. How the first astrologists, and languages and just people in general originated there. He was quick to remind us that while in America whites teach us about how they discovered these things; it was our ancestors who made great discoveries years and years before. He talked about how long before it became cool to “go green” our great great grandmothers cherished the earth and tried to protect and not abuse it. I was moved by the great wisdom of my people, that none of my teachers as of yet have been too quick to talk about.

I was inspired by the drive my ancestors had to learn, and I now know that it is up to me to carry the torch. It is up to our generation, our people to make the next great advances. Instead of being so focused on what’s going on in the world of celebrities or who looks the best, we should be focused on being great people and challenging ourselves to learn for the betterment of our people.

No comments:

Post a Comment