Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dr. Taylor's Lecture (Lauren Bolden)

This week’s lecture by Dr. Taylor was truly inspirational for me. When I chose to come to Howard I knew that I was choosing a school with a rich history, but I had no idea to what extent. The many great names that come from Howard come only as a reminder that each and every one of us here is destined for greatness, and that this is the place where we will take or first steps towards our future.
                A few of the facts that Dr. Taylor mentioned surprised me. I had no idea that Zora Neale Hurston was the founder of the hilltop. I have read Their Eyes Are Watching God and I am so proud that someone with such talent was the founder of our school paper. I was also surprised to know about the woman my dorm was named after. Staying in the Annex I have heard the saying “women of excellence” but I never knew the story behind Mary Mcleod Bethune and how she started her own school. I also learned the history behind the names of all the buildings I am around every day. I learned about Mordecai Johnson (the 1st president of Howard) and Inabel Burns Lindsay ( the 1st dean of the school of social work).  Also about Ira Aldridge(an extremely talented actor) and Lucy Diggs Slowe (founder of the AKAs).  From Douglass Hall to Cramton Auditorium, each building has a rich history and story all its own.
                Hearing this lecture today inspired me to try and figure out how my name can be among the countless greats that have attended or had an impact on Howard University. Through all hardships and frustrations each person was determined to have an impact, and this is the kind of life I would like to lead.

by,
Lauren Bolden

No comments:

Post a Comment